Tuesday, April 6, 2010

iPad: Content Sponge or Content Creator?

Some of the early reviews and feedback about the iPad indicate people see it as a content sponge but not necessarily a content creator. Sure, it's easy to see why -- the few solid apps that are available so far aren't geared towards content development, but rather delivering rich existing content to your new Apple device.

I, however, intend to use my iPad for more than just another way to listen to music, read the news, check my mail, and browse the web. I've found a few great content creation apps so far besides BlogPress and I'm sure more will come about as the iPad grows.

I've got a few samples for content creation I've had success with so far, after the jump.

My favorite app so far is Photogene, a great nearly full-featured photo editor that takes advantage of the iPads large screen.

Here's an example of a photo I edited with Photogene. It was taken originally on my Motorola Droid.





And now for the original:





The difference between the two shots is tremendous. I was able to pull out deeper and brighter colors, more detail In the rocks, water and sky, correct the exposure and contrast deficiencies of the Droid camera, and add a nice border as a finishing touch.

Photogene is available for iPad for $3.99 from the App Store.

Another app I like for content development is Adobe Ideas. It would most likely be classified as a sketchbook tool, similar to the basic functionality of MS Paint. You can import photos and sketch over them, add text and graphics, set up color themes, and collaborate with others on the same project by sending the project via email. It lacks advanced options for sharing and leaves out social networking altogether, but that could be something for future updates.

And best of all, Adobe Ideas is available for free from the App Store.

And lastly, of course, BlogPress, the app I'm using to pen this very blog. It lacks some basic formatting options for text, like the ability to make text bold or underline it. Oddly enough, it doesn't convert the text of a link to an actual clickable URL when published. Again, as these were considered "Launch apps", I'm sure some of these things will be addressed in future updates.

Even while the technosphere has been blowing up with buzz about the iPad for the last week, both good and bad, I've still got more to test and review. I'd say for now, though, my iPad definitely does a great job helping me absorb the internet and my own media. Is it a content creating manic machine? Not completely. At least not yet.

First impressions? I was wrong in thinking it wouldn't change the way I access and interact with the ever-growing interwebs. It already has.



-- Post From My iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment